Monday, December 15, 2008

Thing #16 Wikis

I used to be kinda snobby about Wikipedia. I didn't see much use for it. But, I have recently been converted to its awesome power. Say that you need to know who won the second season of Dancing with the Stars, a quick search on Wikipedia and not only do you know who won, you can see who was voted off, week by week. This is valuable information.

I enjoyed looking through some of the more library oriented wikis. I liked the free resources provided by the Librarianchick's wiki. Branches could use wikis with their book groups - members could not only write reviews on the current book group selection, but they could also review other books they have read and make suggestions for upcoming discussions. A subject guide wiki could also prove useful to our patrons. Patrons with expertise in certain areas could contribute their knowledge to a subject wiki that would in turn benefit other users.

No comments:

Followers